SUMMARY OF JOB
The Development Associate will assist with research, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts from corporations, foundations, and individual prospects. S/he will play a key coordination role in NatureServe's fundraising efforts, draft fundraising materials, organize and execute cultivation and fundraising events, and manage donor acknowledgement and recognition programs. S/he will manage development systems, including a calendar of development activities and a donor database, and keep accurate records and files. The Development Associate will work closely with the Chief Development & Engagement Officer, the Communications Specialist, Marketing Associate, accounting, and senior staff to ensure timely and efficient execution of projects. S/he will report to the Chief Development & Engagement Officer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts from corporations, foundations, and individual prospects. Assist in planning solicitation strategies with senior staff.
- Manage gift acknowledgement process in a timely and organized manner. Maintain a donor recognition program to retain and upgrade donors through a high-touch outreach process.
- Research current and potential donors to evaluate their giving potential and conservation interest.
- Manage internal development systems, including a calendar of development activities and a donor database, keeping clean and accurate records and files.
- Mine data in donor database and other CRM systems, track data trends, and prepare reports to show trends for analysis.
- Plan and execute fundraising and cultivation events, and assist in soliciting sponsorships for events.
- Draft, edit, and mail fundraising appeals and assist with online e-mail appeals.
- Arrange meetings with donors and potential donors.
- Ensure that reports and other deliverables for philanthropic grants are produced in a timely fashion.
- Prepare materials for the Development Committee and Board as needed.
- Assist other departments and perform other duties as required.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years successful experience in development or a related field.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, editing and proofreading skills.
- Polished public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to create engaging content based on scientific material that clearly communicates our impact.
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people and be a team player. Employs effective listening skills, diplomacy, and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and coordinate the work of other staff.
- Ability to produce tangible results, often under pressure with tight deadlines. Ability to handle multiple tasks in a poised, efficient, and effective way with attention to detail.
- Ability to make decisions, solve problems, and set priorities in the face of multiple tasks and projects. Efficient, productive, and accurate.
- Well-organized and able to keep records up-to-date and accurate.
- Advanced problem-solving abilities and a positive "can-do" attitude.
- Able to provide thoughtful feedback on projects.
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office Suite software
- Willingness and ability to travel and work evenings or weekends when occasionally required.
- Experience with event management and planning.
- Experience with donor management software.
- Experience in writing persuasively.
- Experience with Database management.
- Willingness and ability to commit to the mission and goals of NatureServe.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to travel to meetings independently with partners and clients and carry presentation equipment and documents.
- Ability to converse verbally and in writing with others regarding organizational goals and needs.
- Ability to use organizational technology and multi-phone systems.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 15lbs.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!