SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Program Director, Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) promotes the NatureServe Network mission to be the most comprehensive source of biodiversity data and expertise in the Western Hemisphere. The Program Director helps NatureServe ensure that the Network Programs in the region are financially stable, engaged in strategic alliances with other biodiversity experts, and fully participate in the NatureServe Network. Key activities include identifying and cultivating clients, creating funding opportunities, and co-developing collaborative projects. The Program Director will report to, and work with, the Director of Network Capacity to initiate and execute these and other LAC capacity-building activities.
The essential job functions listed below are not meant to be all-inclusive and may be subject to change at any time.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with NatureServe staff and Network Programs to finalize and implement an LAC strategy and create an LAC business development plan.
- Represent and communicate the value of the NatureServe Network to strategic partners including government agencies, foundations, the private sector, donors, and the scientific community.
- Cultivate potential funders and identify and pursue high-priority funding opportunities for collaborative NatureServe Network projects and capacity-building training.
- Develop and execute collaborative projects in the LAC region.
- In collaboration with the Director of Network Capacity, help manage the communications and capacity building needs of the LAC Section of the Network.
- Assess the composition of the LAC network and strategically recruit new members to strengthen biodiversity expertise and enhance the Network's market competitiveness.
- Work with the LAC Section Council and Network Programs to ensure good communication and representation between the Council, NatureServe Board and staff, and NatureServe Network Programs in the U.S. and Canadian Sections.
- Ensure that LAC Network Programs become full participants in the NatureServe Network by advancing tools, training and data sharing mechanisms between LAC and NatureServe.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Functional knowledge of Latin American and/or Caribbean conservation issues, marketing strategies, development opportunities, and government relations.
- Fluency in Spanish and English required.
- Advanced degree or comparable experience in conservation, ecology, or natural resource management.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Proficient skill in all Microsoft Office tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, show initiative, and provide leadership.
- Proven ability to establish, cultivate, and maintain productive partnerships across the public and private sectors.
- A minimum of three years' experience in fundraising, business development and organization capacity building.
- Strong negotiation, persuasion, and team building skills.
- Experience leading, organizing, and writing grant proposals.
- Experience managing complex, multi-year projects, especially in conservation, natural resources or research.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish.
- Willingness to live in Latin America or the Caribbean and travel frequently.
- Adept at communicating with and understanding the needs of Latin American and/or Caribbean people and institutions.
- Experience in fundraising and institutional development in Latin America and/or the Caribbean, with emphasis on bilateral and multi-lateral development agencies and corporations.
- Fluency in Portuguese desirable.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Ability to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, copiers and storage rooms
- Requires frequent communication, verbal and written
- Ability to hear well and speak clearly to engage effectively with NatureServe partners, clients, Board members, network members and remote staff
- Ability to lift and carryaudio/visual equipment, conference and meeting materials up to 25lbs
- Requires ability to visually or otherwise identify, observe or assess
- Ability to travel independently nationally and internationally to attend meetings and conferences
- Ability to use organizational-specific technology and phone and video-conferencing tools.
For a Spanish version of the position announcement, please click here.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!